8-goal thriller that could be fatal to Man Utd

The title race is wide open yet again, as some uninspired defending by Manchester United against Everton today may be saw the Red Devils let the 20th title slip slowly away from their hands, as the match ended 4-4, putting the Red Devils 6 points ahead of City, but the latter plays later on today, and a win will bring them only 3 points behind, and with the derby looming next week, any mistake by the Red Devils there could make City go back on top yet again, unless a miracle happens.

Everton were the ones to light up the game early on as United struggled to get going, and the Toffees were rewarded on the 33rd minute, as Hibbert’s cross was met by Jelavic on the far post, and the latter guided the ball back to the first post, with De Gea left as spectator as the ball went in. United had to fight back, and did so well on the 41st minute, as Rooney headed in Nani’s cross to level the score before half-time. The dressing room must have shook at half time, since United came back with more attacking intentions, and Welbeck was duely rewarded on the 57th minute as he collected Nani’s headed pass, feign the shot a first time, before eventually letting one fly from the edge of the box and past Howard for United’s second. The fans were still celebrating the second goal when Nani added a third three minutes later, when he cleverly chipped the ball over Howard. It looked to be heading for another win for United.

However, Fellaini had other thoughts, as he lashed out a volley past De Gea on the 67th minute, which De Gea could not stop despite getting light contact on the shot. But it was one of these games, and Rooney responded at the other end, as he coolly slotted home Welbeck’s past. 4-2, United looked set to win this one, but in the last 10 minutes, Everton surprised them again. Jelavic reduced the deficit on the 83rd minute with yet another fine shot which left De Gea rooted to his line, and 2 minutes later, Pienaar was set through by Fellaini to equalize and stun United. Despite a late attempt by Ferdinand, saved by Howard, United were unable to score the winning goal, and had to eventually settle for the draw, but oh such a costly one it could prove to be if United were to lose the title at the end of the season. The hopes in the blue half of Manchester must have shot to the max level.